- The books are the real thing, not clip art. They are from Rob Kall's Library of 500+ Quotation books. These are lovingly collected "middle aged books, dating from 1726 to about 1908. More antiquarian books in the collection date back to as early as 1582 and include a first edition of Fuller's Gnomologia. Photo by Rob Kall
- Quotes,on health, mind, body, spirit, MIND/Body, Positive Psychology, Alternative Health, stress, laughter, ADHD, heart, including unusual topics-- words that are metaphors, like ,deep, muscle, silence, awakening, wonder, touch.
Quotes, etc on health, mind, body, spirit, MIND/Body, Positive Psychology, Alternative Health, stress, laughter, ADDHD, heart, including unusual topics-- words that are metaphors, like ,deep, muscle, silence, awakening, wonder, touch. Quotation Web Links at bottom of page
This page leads to a batch of linked pages covering different topics I have collected in the process of building a software and print based quotation collection. There are over 1089 quotations in this part of the web site, with more added regularly. We're happy to accept suggestions for new subjects to add, and to receive your favorite quotes. If there's a great quote you know, for a topic we list, which we don't have, PLEASE send it our way.
If you use a quote from this site for a book, please credit it in your acknowledgements. I invite you to submit new quotes too.
Jump Right to the Quotations Central Subject Directory
Collecting quotations is a serious hobby of mine. I have about 30,000-40,000 quotes on my hard drive, plus about 350+ quotation related books (sayings, proverbs, etc.) dating back to 1590, and several CD quote collections. I am interested in proposals from publishers, authors, web sites, etc. to develop projects using these resources, which I have been told are among the most extensive in the world.
Send mail to Rob Kall: Comments on the site, favorite quotes, new subject suggestions
| || |
- Quotations Central is Sponsored by Futurehealth Inc.
- Mind Body Spirit Biofeedback Neurofeedback Stress Pain Central
- Tools, information and inspiration for transforming yourself and the planet-- going beyond "not sick" to optimal health & functioning.
- Check out our tapes, books, technology for increasing your self awareness, control and self health.
Samplings from Rob Kall's main Quote Collection
- Subject (# of quotations in the subject ) A sample quotation from the quote subject collection author.
- Click on the subject to see more Quotes on that subject.
- ADD/ADHD (20)"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." --Frank Zappa
- Adversity 26 " My barn having burned to the ground, I can now see the moon." --Taoist saying
- Awakening (10) "Smiles awake you when you rise." Beatles, Golden Slumbers
Awareness (19) "The most difficult thing in life is to know yourself." Thales
- Balance (16) "Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it." Santayana, Essays
Biofeedback ( Mind/Body self control, self awareness) Related Quotations (7) "Why does my blood thus muster to my heart, and dispossessing all my other parts of necessary fitness?" Shakespeare
- Blessings (20) "No blessing lasts forever." Plautus, Curculio, 200BC
- Brain (36) The brain may be regarded as a kind of parasite of the organism." Arthur Schopenhauer
- Brain laterality (right left brain differences) (13) "You must hear the birds song without attempting to render it into nouns and verbs." Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Breath (18) "Breath is the bridge which connects life to consciousness, which unites your body to your thoughts." Thich Nhat Hanh
- Change, New Ideas & Innovation (38) "I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Dorothy, in Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- Coaching (11) The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender. Vince Lombardi
- Consciousness (35) "Art is a marriage of the conscious and the unconscious." Jean Cocteau
- Courage (50) "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
- Deep/Depth (19) "To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others." Madame Swetchine
Diversity (5) "There never was in the world two opinions alike, no more than two hairs or two grains; the most universal quality is diversity." Montaigne, Of the Resemblance of Children to Their Fathers
- Enlightenment (30) There are many paths to enlightenment. Be sure to take one with a heart. Lao Tzu
- Forgiving/Forgiveness/Pardon (18) "Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom." Hannah Arendt
- Freedom (41) "The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
- Frontiers (15) "Pessimism operates in a narrowed field of vision that fails to take into account the possibilities at the outer edges of experience." Norman Cousins
- Genius (51) "What is genius or courage without a heart?" --Oliver Goldsmith
Health (47 ) We know a great deal more about the causes of physical disease than we do about the causes of physical health. M. Scott Peck
- Heart (27) 'T is the heart's voice alone can reach the heart." Alfred De Musset
- Integrity(28) "So live that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers
- Intention (23)Ultimately, human intentionality is the most powerful evolutionary force on this planet. --George Leonard
- Laughter (24) "Nothing shows a man's character more than what he laughs at." Goethe
- Learning(56) "The man of imagination who is untrained (unlearned, uneducated, undisciplined) has wings and no feet." Joseph Joubert
Muscle (17) "Our most sacred convictions, the unchanging elements of our supreme values, are judgements of our muscles."
Nietzsche, The Will To Power
- Pain (27) When we cling to pain we end up punishing ourselves. Leo F. Buscaglia
- Positive (11) "Positive anything is better than negative nothing." Elbert Hubbard
- Price(29) "It's not what you pay a man, but what he costs you that counts." Will Rogers
- Relaxation (25) "He that can compose himself, is wiser than he that composes books." Ben Franklin
- Religion (110) "It is the test of a good religion whether you can joke about it." Gilbert K. Chesterton
- Responsibility (22) "In dreams begin Responsibilities." U2
- Science Spirituality & Emotion (20) "I'm a scientist. We don't talk about the spirit. Soul is a four letter word in our tradition. Candace Pert (speaking tongue in cheek)
- Service (25) "Sow good services: sweet remembrances will grow from them." Madame de Stael
- Silence (19) "A quiet mind cureth all." Robert Burton
- Sleep (23) When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep. Ursula K. LeGuin
- Spirit (20) Whatever liberates our spirit without giving us self-control is disastrous. Goethe
- Story, Stories (31) "Storytelling is the most powerful way to put ideas into the world today." Robert McKee
- Stress (15)"..restless thoughts, that like a deadly swarm of hornets arm'd, no sooner found alone, But rush upon me thronging." Milton
Touch (19) "Touch seems to be as essential as sunlight" Diane Ackerman, A Natural History of The Senses
- Wonder (15) There is something of the marvelous in all things of nature. Aristotle 384-322BC, Parts of Animals
- Heartwarmers: not quotes, but touching anecdotes I've collected.
More to come! Drop me a note to let me know what other topics you'd like covered with quotes. I also do quote searches, using the net, my personal quote data-base and my collection of 100s of quote books and 1000s of reference source books.
Quotation Web Site Links
My Favorite Quotations
People often ask what my favorite is. There are so many I like, but here are a few I use often and keep coming back to. I know they're not short, but then again, I said quotations, not epigrams. <g>
- "A man is like a bit of Labrador spar, which has no lustre as you turn it in your hand until you come to a particular angle; then it shows deep and beautiful colors. There is no adaptation or universal applicability in men, but each has his special Talent, and the mastery of Successful men consists in adroitly keeping themselves where and when that turn shall be oftenest to be practiced."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "The movements of exaltation which belong to genius are egotistic by their very nature. A calm, clear mind, not subject to the spasms and crises which are so often met with in creative or intensely perceptive natures, is the best basis for love or friendship. --Observe, I am talking about minds. I won't say, the more intellect, the less capacity for loving; for that would do wrong to the understanding and reason;-- but on the other hand, that the brain runs away with the heart's best blood, which gives the world a few pages of wisdom or sentiment or poetry, instead of making one other heart happy, I have no question."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Senior, THE AUTOCRAT OF THE BREAKFAST TABLE
- Compassion is not religious business,
- it is human business,
- it is not luxury,
- it is essential for our own peace and mental stability,
- it is essential for human survival.
- Creative Quotations a power site, which searches through a database of 21,000 quotations.
- Thought for Today Quotation Archive George Osner has put together a very impressive quotation resource, definitely worth bookmarking. It includes a list of quotation books and a quotation collection with over 200 subjects, plus six years of quote a day collections.
- MaximNet established by the Templeton Foundation as a maxim resource, but perhaps more exciting a place to report on the foundatioin's efforts to develop approaches to using maxims for child character education. Good Work!
- Quotations Home Page Thousands and thousands of quotes
- Compleat Shakespeare full text of all his major works, searchable by word or phrase.
- Bartlett's Quotations 1901 Edition
- De Proverbio: Electronic Journal of International Proverb Studies
- Donald Lancon, Jr.'s Quote page not that extensive, but very well linked to the web--the way a really good quote site should, and probably, ultimately will look, in terms of web links. Well, at least a suggestion of it, sans images, and digitized audio and video.
- The Book of Famous Quotations
- Conventional Wisdom: Quotations which illustrate the Illusions of Popular History
- Empowerment Now; Inspiration Corner
- Positive Quotations, some with a religious flavor
- Quotations From William Blake
- Mfx' world Renowned quotations file (loads on programming)
- The Quotations Archive
- Over 9,000 Quotations by Subject - Shareware for Windows
- The Quotations Guide
- The Quotations Page
- The Quotations Server
- Random Quotes
- The Snow Quotation Treasury
- Tech Classics Archive
- Tycho's Quotations
- Frank Lloyd Wright Quotations
- Aphorisms a bit cynical, but what the heck, so is La Rochefoucauld