Why I Love Biofeedback
1. Elegant. Biofeedback is a behavioral mirror. When in a biofeedback loop you interact with information from your own body. In biofeedback you see and respond to a real time display reflecting the activity of your nervous system. Sometimes your brain waves are shown on a computer screen so that you can reduce problem frequencies by trial and error learning.
2. Quick. Recovery of 2-5% per hour for a neurofeedback intervention is typical. For example, we can typically reduce the problems of ADHD by half within 20 sessions. Each session can be brief.
3. No more pills. Clients are able to withdraw from psychoactive medications without a resurgence of symptoms. (Google: Vincent Monastra)
4. Pervasive benefits. Biofeedback can target emotional lability, sensory regulation, executive mental functions, and physical well being. Yet reports of additional benefits are the norm. For example, people often spontaneousy report improved quality of sleep.
5. High success rates. Overall, ~60-90% success rates are the norm for the diverse range of symptoms seen by biofeedback practitioners. We have 90% certainty of permanently clearing up migraines in 20 sessions.
6. Broadly useful. Neurofeedback treats many kinds of disorders, conditions and symptoms. Both genetic and acquired problems respond.
Brain: seizures, stroke, traumatic brain injury, coma, migraine.
Lifestyle: drug & alcohol addictions, eating disorders, criminality.
Arousal: stress, anxiety, headache, OCD, anger, PTSD.
Chronic: asthma, IBS, TMJ, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, immune suppression, depression, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, chronic pain, psychological trauma.
Women: PMS, menopause, hot flashes, infertility.
Not just kids: ADHD, autism, Asperger's, Tourette's, tics, learning disorders.
g International Society of Neurofeedback and Research. 17. Neuro-technologies. There are several technologies related to biofeedback. For example, based on extensive research, Cranial Electrical Stimulation is approved by the FDA for anxiety, depression and insomnia. But like biofeedback it is vastly under-utilized. ">click here
8. Accepted by academia. Biofeedback is taught in the textbooks of many fields. Physicians are trained in biofeedback in medical school. Biofeedback works on animals. Biofeedback can be seen as a form of trial and error learning or operant conditioning. The basic concepts are accepted and not controversial.
9. Excellence. Biofeedback can be used to enhance optimal flow and functioning without a problem orientation. Just as aerobic cross training helps all athletes, conditioning the nervous system enhances all endeavors. The U.S. Army has begun training officers with biofeedback for mental focus and emotional resilience. The best peak performance research is with athletes and musicians. (Google: Italian soccer biofeedback.) Surgeons improve speed and dexterity.
10. Organic path to healing. You fix yourself under guidance. Recovery is gradual and cumulative. The effect is to develop the flexibility and resilience of the nervous system. The goal is to improve self-regulation of mind-body through self-awareness and self-control. Biofeedback is similar to many other processes: training, exercise, maturation, mediation, stress reduction, etc.
11. Permanent. Positive results of brain biofeedback are sustained in the long term.
13. Enjoyable. The experience of biofeedback is pleasant, interesting and relaxing. The feedback can be carried by any movie on a DVD requiring no special effort.
14. Flexible application. There are biofeedback training approaches that need no diagnosis or special protocols. On the other hand, psychophysiological profiles or brain maps can be used to guide biofeedback treatment. Some biofeedback devices are inexpensive and hand held. The technology is advancing rapidly. Biofeedback can occur in an office, at home, community or school.