1. Des Jarlais DC, Friedman SR. Fifteen years of research on preventing HIV infection among injecting drug users: What we have learned, what we have not learned, what we have done, what we have not done. Public Health Rep, 1998; 113: 182-188.
2. Drucker E. Drug prohibition and public health: 25 years of evidence. Public Health Rep, 1999; 114: 14-29.
3. Wood E, Kerr T, Montaner JS, et al. Rationale for evaluating North America's first medically supervised safer-injecting facility. Lancet Infect Dis, 2004; 4: 301-306.
4. Wood E, Kerr T, Spittal PM, et al. The potential public health and community impacts of safer injecting facilities: Evidence from a cohort of injection drug users. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 2003; 32: 2-8.
5. Kerr T, Wood E, Small D, et al. Potential use of safer injecting facilities among injection drug users in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. CMAJ, 2003; 169: 759-763.
6. Freeman K, Jones CG, Weatherburn DJ, et al. The impact of the Sydney medically supervised injecting centre (MSIC) on crime. Drug Alcohol Rev, 2005; 24: 173-184.
7. de Jong W, Wever U. The professional acceptance of drug use: A closer look at drug consumption rooms in the Netherlands, Germany, and Switzerland. Int J Drug Policy, 1999; 10: 99-108.
8. Kimber J, Dolan K, van Beek I, et al. Drug consumption facilities: An update since 2000. Drug Alcohol Rev, 2003; 22: 227-233.
9. Ronco C, Spuhler G, Coda P, et al. Evaluation for alley-rooms I, II, and III in Basel. Soc Prev Med, 1996; 41: S58-68.
10. Tyndall MW, Kerr T, Zhang R, King E, Montaner JG, Wood E. Attendance, drug use patterns, and referrals made from North America's first supervised injection facility. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2006; 83(3): 193-198.
11. Tyndall MW, Wood E, Zhang R, Lai C, Montaner JSG, Kerr T. HIV seroprevalence among participants at a supervised injection facility in Vancouver, Canada: Implications for prevention, care and treatment. Harm Reduction Journal, 2006; 3(1): 36.
12. Kerr T, Stoltz JA, Tyndall M, Li K, Zhang R, Montaner J, Wood E. Impact of a medically supervised safer injection facility on community drug use patterns: A before and after study. British Medical Journal, 2006; 332(7535): 220-222.
13. Wood E, Tyndall MW, Zhang R, Stoltz J, Lai C, Montaner JSG, Kerr T. Attendance at supervised injecting facilities and use of detoxification services. New England Journal of Medicine, 2006; 354(23): 2512-2514.
14. Wood E, Tyndall MW, Zhang R, Montaner JS, Kerr T. Rate of detoxification service use and its impact among a cohort of supervised injecting facility users. Addiction, 2007; 102(6): 916-919.
Lewis Mehl-Madrona graduated from Stanford University School of Medicine and completed residencies in family medicine and in psychiatry at the University of Vermont. He is the author of Coyote Medicine, Coyote Healing, Coyote Wisdom, and (more...)